Sunday, 4 May 2008

Bowls/Les bols

Well, I’ve finally found the time to write up the tutorial I promised on how I made a fabric bowl.

Bon, enfin j’ai trouvé le temps pour faire le tutorial sur les bols comme promis.

First I made a pattern. I cut out a big circle in paper. I used a very big pot lid – actually it goes over the frying pan. My circle is about 32 cm across.

Premier chose, j’ai tracé le patron sur du papier.

J’ai utilise le couvercle de poêle – ça fait environs 32 cms.

I folded it in half and then into thirds, from the central point of the circle.

Pliez le cercle en deux puis en trios, en partent du milieu de cercle.

Next I folded the bottom point up about 5 or 6 cms. When you open out your circle, it is divided into 6 equal wedges with a hexagon shape in the middle. Draw over these lines. Cut from the outer edge of the circle to the hexagon shape along the 6 radiating lines.

Après, j’ai pliez le point à environs 6 cm de point, vers le haut. En ouvrant le cercle, c’est divis en 6 avec un hexagone au centre. Tracer sur ces lignes. Couper les lignes radient du bord du cercle à l’hexagone central.

I used the fabric I had created for the outer fabric and plain black cotton for the inside of the bowl. I used fairly stiff interfacing on the back of the black fabric. My outer fabric was already fairly stiff, as it had been machined quilted with a cotton batting. If you are using a commercial fabric then I recommend interfacing it as well as machine quilting so it is fairly stiff.

Pour l’extérieur du bol j’ai utilise un tissu que j’avais crée et un coton noir pour l’intérieur. Je le doublure avec une thermocollant assez épais Mon tissu extérieur était déjà assez rigide car j’avais matelasse en pique libre, en utilisant un molleton cotton. Si vous utilisez un tissu commercial ça sera bien du doublure avec du thermocollant et de le matelassé en plus.

Cut a circle out of each fabric. Mark the radiating lines and central hexagon on the lining fabric. Place the 2 circles, wrong sides together. I find 505 basting spray helpful here as it keeps the layers from moving independently. Sew around the central hexagon – this is the base of your bowl.

Coupez un cercle dans chaque tissu.. Marquez les lignes radiantes et l’hexagone central sur le tissu noir. Mettez les 2 cercles envers contre envers. J’utilise le spray 505 pour éviter que les deus tissus bougent le une contre l’autre. Coudre autour de l’hexagone central – ceci est la base du bol.


Next, set your machine to a satin stitch. I used the same thread in the machine and in the bobbin. I found it looked better if I went around the top edge a number of times (5 or 6) with a slightly open satin stitch rather than once with a very tight stitch.

Réglez votre machine au point satin moyenne (point zigzag assez étroit) J’ai utilise le même fils dans le cannette et la machine. J’ai fait plusieurs tours (5 à 6) avec une densité moyenne au lieu de un tour avec un point très serré.


To create the sides of the bowl you need to form darts from the top edge of the circle to the corner points of the hexagon.

The larger you dart, then the steeper the sides of your bowl. Mine are about 5 cms at the top edge. It isn’t really very important so long as they are all the same.

Pour former les parois du bol, il faut faire les pinces du bord du bol au chaque coin du hexagone. Le plus large le pince, le plus étroit le bol. Les miens sont autour de 5 cm au bord mais ceci n’est pas très important s’ils sont tous du même mesure.


I sewed along this line a couple of times.

J’ai cousu sur cette ligne plusieurs fois.

Voila. The bowl is finished. Next time I might put a plastic lining so I can use it as a pot plant holder.

Et voila! Le bol est fini. Pour le prochain je le doublerai avec du plastique pour l’utiliser comme cache pot.

3 comments:

pascale said...

Bravo pour tes explications, j'ai tout compris.
It's nice to have you back with us on the web, and with new ideas.
Again I am sorry for your Dad, it was good you saw him again.
With hugs,
Pascale

Mary Geller said...

Margo, I am sorry about your Dad. Very cool bowl tutorial . Thank you for posting. I am going to Paris beginning of June- any interesting quilt stores or must sees? I will definately take in Museum of Moyen Age based on your
description. Thanks, Mary

Jasmine said...

Great bowl tute, thank you Margot!
And those shoes are a tad tempting - went and looked at Mary Loomis again...
Enough hours in the day but not enough days in the week, maybe we should metricate (didnt the French do that In The Olden Days?)
xxxxx