Thursday, 28 February 2008

Beginnings/Le Debut





Having set up a blog it is now time to start posting. My intention is to share my adventures in the world of textiles with you plus the occasional more personal bits and pieces.

I started sewing at school and didn't really like it. As a stroppy teenager I bugged my Mum for a new skirt. Her reply was that she had already spent the money for my summer wardrobe and if I really wanted a new skirt the I could jolly well make one. So I did. The side seams were wonky, the zip in crooked, no seam finishing at all but the hem was straight and a passion was born. OK so it took about 25 years for the passion to really develop but the seeds were sown.

I am now a home based seamstress, doing mainly hems and fixing zippers. I am also a textile artist. I dye many of my own fabrics and love to play.

Here in France it can be difficult to find many of the basic supplies so I have decided to start an on-line shop selling procion dyes, transfer dyes, discharge paste, mistyfuse and other bits and pieces as I find them. Hopefully the shop will be up soon - the longest bit is translating everything into French and made even longer as my written French isn't the best so have to get everything doubled checked.


This is a quilt made for my Aunt in New Zealand. It is based on one of her mother's flax weaving patterns. I hand dyed and painted the fabrics.

Quil

Quilt fait pour ma tante en Nouvelle Zélande. C'est baser sur un modèle du tissage du "flax" créa par sa mère. J'ai teinté et peint les tissus.

Je suis installe chez moi comme couturière. En plus je fais de l’art textile. Tout ça à commencer quand j'étais ado.

J'adore teindre et peint le tissu chez moi. Comme j'ai du mal à trouver les produits comme les teintures procion mx en France, j'ai décidé de monter mon propre commerce sur internet. J'"espere que ça sera prêt bientôt. La plus longue est de tout traduire en français!

12 comments:

Peticelul lui Smaranda said...

Tu peux trouver du procion en france, je peux te donner 2 adresses si tu veux, Amiquiltement,
Smaranda
http://pagesperso-orange.fr/creation
.smaranda/

Nathalie L. pour Histoires de boites à couture said...

Merci pour la traduction en français et longue vie à ton blog, les débuts sont prometteurs.

Margo said...

Merci pour les commentes. Je sais qu’il y'a quelque vente en ligne pour les produits procion mais comme j'ai déjà un SIRETet et il y‘a les autres produits comme mistyfuseÓ que je ne trouve pas facilement ici, j'ai décide de me lancer dans le commerce sur internet. BG.

Margo

Jasmine said...

Lovely flax weaving quilt.
And congratulations on your bloggie beginnings, I might do that now that there is fat juicy broadband on the other side of this computer!
Hugs,
Jasmine

MargaretR said...

Welcome to Blogland Margo. I promise you will love it here!

Lindi said...

Welcome to blogging from another blogging addicted scquilter!
I love the weaving pattern quilt. The design works wonderfully in fabrics.
Cheers!

Feltique said...

Hi Margo,
lovely to read your blog. The shaving cream dye looks like great fun.
Make sure you post some photos of the dyed fabric. See you on scquilters and fibre & stitch.
Krishna

Lissa Jane said...

Margo
welcome to blogland.. I love your flax inspired quilt and your shaving foam dyeing.. might have to try it one day!


Lissa

Delia said...

HI Margot
Love you blog and welcome to blog land.
Delia

Delia said...

HI Margot
Love you blog and welcome to blog land.
Delia

Delia said...

HI Margot
Love you blog and welcome to blog land.
Delia

Anonymous said...

Hi Margo,

How far are you with your online shop ? Do you have enough people helping out there for the French checking ?

Greetings from Francine who lives in Alsace and loves textiles too.